82017Dec
TIPS ON POISONING PREVENTION  FOR CHILDREN.

TIPS ON POISONING PREVENTION FOR CHILDREN.

Accidental poisoning among children is on the rise globally with thousands of children being admitted to the emergency units of hospitals yearly. Because they accidentally consumed some form of medicine, household product or pesticide. Children are naturally curious and the tendency of exploring in and around the home exposes them to Ingest toxic substances.

There are several poisons at home and in the surroundings and ingesting such substances may be fatal in childhood.  Examples of poisons at home includes; Medications, camphor balls, kerosene, hair relaxer, spray for insects etc. Most of these “accidental” poisonings can be prevented by:

  1. Keeping all poisonous substance out of the reach of children (locked inside cupboards or placed beyond children’s reach).
  2. All toxic substances should be stored in child-proof containers.
  3. Never use a transparent plastic bottle to store toxic liquids ( e.g kerosene, Premium motor spirit (fuel), engine oil etc.)
  4. Never leave your child unsupervised in certain areas of the house. e.g in bathroom accidental drowning may occur or in the kitchen sharp utensils may be used unwittingly. Etc.
  5. Make sure to practice proper housekeeping routine.

What you must NEVER DO when accidental ingestion occurs:

  1. Induce vomiting.
  2. Give palm oil or olive oil

What you should DO when accidental ingestion occurs:

  1. Take the child to the hospital (emergency department).

2. Take along the poison or its container for identification.